- Meet one of just a few of the UK’s Chilli Farmers in the beautiful village of Upton Cheyney, situated on the edge of The Cotswolds
- From the majesty of our ancient Tithe Barn, learn all about chillies; including their history, health benefits and what makes them hot
- Tour the chilli farm’s polytunnels and harvest your own pods
- Breathe in the amazing aroma from our smoke house, and experience the delight of smoking chillies to make chipotle – the world’s most amazing flavour!
- Visit our kitchen and learn how to use your fiery harvest
- Discover the huge variation of chilli flavours in our unique chilli tasting experience
- Sample our home-made sauces produced on the farm, as well as our chocolates, oils, cider and spicy sausages.
- Goody bag for every chilli tourist
Starting in our ancient and beautiful Tithe Barn, built in the 1600’s and the perfect sheltered spot in which to welcome you to the Upton Cheyney Chilli Farm, we will discuss chillies and their importance to us, as one of only a handful of UK chilli farmers.
From here we take a short walk to the Chilli Farm itself where you’ll harvest pods from the commercial growing areas whilst admiring the more exotic species that we have growing in our Simpson Seeds show tunnel – www.simpsonsseeds.co.uk/. Using equipment supplied by GreenHouse Sensations – www.greenhousesensation.co.uk/ , we will demonstrate a variety of growing medias including hydroponics, and self watering systems. Furthermore, we will be confronted with some of the hottest chillies known to man in the Hot Headz tunnel – http://www.hot-headz.com, whilst learning how chillies are grown across the world in the Bart Ingredients tunnel – www.bart-ingredients.co.uk/.
As we move from tunnel to tunnel, we will sample the various pods, starting mild and working our way up to wild! It is for this reason that we suggest you bring some full fat milk as well as some tissues for that runny nose! For the very brave there is a chance to sample the worlds hottest chilli – the Carolina Reaper!
Smoking chillies is one of our specialities and here, in the tunnel area, we will also demonstrate this process.
At the end of the tour we will return to the farm shop, where our range of sauces, chocolates, ciders and spicy sausages will be available to sample and buy.
Tours operate on Saturdays and Sundays from early September until the end of October, lasting approximately 1½ hours. Spaces on each tour are limited – you’ll need to pre-book the date and session in advance. Tour vouchers are priced at £25 per visitor or £40 per couple, with group bookings of 10 or above qualifying for discounts. Private group bookings are welcome.
You will be outside for some of the tour and we recommend that you wear suitable clothing – a working farm can get very muddy in wet conditions. We’re sorry but the tour is not suitable for wheelchair users.
You’re welcome to spend the entire day on the farm, where we also have a cafe, butchery and farm shop – or why not stay a little longer as we’ve our own campsite! If camping is not your thing, you could always stay over at the local B+B which boasts three stunning bedrooms and a hobbit hole (built by our very own chilli farmer!) www.westtyning.co.uk